Things You Should Know About Alcohol
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant produced by the fermentation of yeast, starch and sugar. Alcohol abuse is quite common all over the world. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), about 18 million people in the United States have an alcohol use disorder. While moderate drinking is acceptable in most societies, alcohol abuse poses a serious challenge to our societies. Excessive alcohol consumption is quite common among young people. Alcohol is also a major cause of physical and mental illnesses all over the world. Below are some of the facts you should know about alcohol.
- Contrary to what many people believe, alcohol is not a stimulant. In fact it’s a depressant and it slows down brain functions.
- Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can prove to be detrimental for the health of the unborn baby. It can damage the brain functions of the child and can lead to various complications.
- Alcohol is quickly absorbed in the bloodstream and is circulated to all parts of the body.
- Drinking and driving is one of the major causes of deaths all over the world. One in three crash deaths in the US are caused by drinking and driving. Incidentally, men are responsible for 80 % of deaths caused by drunk driving.
- Alcohol impairs judgment. It reduces the ability of people to make rational decisions. People are more likely to indulge in risky behaviors under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol abuse has also been linked to the spread of HIV and other harmful viruses.
- Alcohol abuse is one of the most major contributing factors in many crimes. Alcohol is also responsible for almost 75% of all Date Rapes in the US.
- It causes serious physical illnesses. Liver diseases, respiratory problems, cancer, high blood pressure and heart diseases are some of the major diseases caused by alcohol abuse. Many of these diseases are fatal. For this reason, alcohol is considered as a major cause of illnesses all over the world.
- Alcohol causes physical and mental dependence. Withdrawals symptoms such as anxiety and sweating are quite common.
- Professional treatment must be sought by those who’re suffering from extreme alcohol addiction.
There are many reliable drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers that may prove to be of immense help when it comes to helping a person overcome alcohol addiction. Inspire Malibu is one of the leading treatment centers. For more information about the center and alcohol detox click here.