Yoga and Drug Addiction
Most of us have heard that yoga is good for our health. Originating in India thousands of years ago, yoga has gained tremendous popularity all over the world. Practicing yoga regularly has scientifically-proven health benefits. From losing weight to reducing stress, the practice of yoga can greatly enhance your overall well-being. While yoga is known to provide several health benefits, can the practice of yoga be helpful in overcoming drug addiction?
- There is a dearth of scientific research when it comes to establishing the benefits of yoga in addiction treatment. However, many studies point to the fact that yoga practice holds special significance for people recovering from drug addiction.
- Yoga provides relief from stress and helps people undergoing drug treatment cope with the side-effects of medications. Moreover, yoga provides a new social activity for individuals. This may prove to be of great help when it comes to recovering from an addiction.
- Yoga can make it easier for a patient to release all pent-up emotions that he or she may be experiencing while undergoing drug addiction treatment.
- Some of the other potential benefits of yoga include providing relief from anxiety, controlling impulsive behavior and overcoming fatigue, hostility and depression. The positive mental health benefits provided by yoga can go a long way when it comes to helping a person overcome drug addiction.
- Yoga is also known to boost physical immunity and stamina of an individual undergoing drug addiction treatment.
While practicing yoga can be somewhat helpful when it comes to helping a person deal with drug addiction, we must not undermine the role of professional medical treatment. Depending upon the severity of addiction, professional drug addiction treatment often becomes necessary. Enrolling in a drug rehab center and seeking medical support is imperative when it comes to helping an individual overcome addiction.
Yoga may play a complementary role when it comes to addiction treatment. But it would be wrong to believe that yoga has any miraculous ability to cure a person of drug addiction. In the US, there are many drug rehabilitation centers that provide effective medical treatment to people dealing with drug addiction.
For more information on how Yoga plays a role in addiction click here.