Pages Menu
TwitterRssFacebook
Categories Menu

Posted by on Dec 23, 2014 in Drug Addiction |

Symptoms and Treatment of Drug Overdose

24 hour helpline call usApart from the fact that they were popular Hollywood celebrities who hogged the limelight in their heydays, what’s common among Marilyn Monroe, Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole Smith and Rodney Harvey?

They all died of a drug overdose.

And the list doesn’t end with them. From Elvis Presley to Dana Plato, there are many famous people who consumed drugs in large quantities and ended up paying for it with their lives.

Defined as “taking an excessive amount of a drug or drugs”, a drug overdose is a dangerous condition and in many cases has proven to be fatal. It would be wrong to believe that it’s only the illegal drugs that can cause death when taken in large quantities. Consuming large quantities of prescription drugs has also ended in fatalities.

Some Causes of Drug Overdose

A person may consume drugs in large quantities either accidentally or intentionally. There have been cases in which children swallow medication accidentally. A person with an unstable mind may also end up consuming large amounts or the wrong drugs accidentally. Many people who use cocaine, heroin and other illegal drugs may accidentally end up injecting or inhaling large quantities of these drugs. It’s not only large quantities of drugs that can cause an overdose. When using illegal drugs or prescriptions medications against a doctors advice you risk the chance of serious implications.

Common Symptoms Associated with a Drug Overdose

Drug Overdose

Drug Overdose

  • Sleepiness
  • Confusion
  • Excessive Sweating
  • Chest Pain
  • Shakiness
  • Trembling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Diarrhea

The degree of symptoms experienced depends on the nature and amount of drugs consumed. In extreme cases, a person may experience heart failure or brain damage. This can lead to immediate death. Providing emergency treatment is essential to save the life of a person who has consumed drugs in large quantities.

Treatment for a Drug Overdose

Handling someone who has experienced a drug overdose on your own may prove to be life threatening. As a friend and family member of a person who has experienced an overdose, you must call 911 immediately and let a reliable medical center take over. Even if the symptoms are not severe, it is essential to seek medical assistance. This could possibly save the life of your loved one.

The services provided by a reliable opiate treatment center may prove to be the deciding factor when it comes to saving the life of a person. The idea is to prevent the drug overdose from ever happening, and to do this Drug Treatment is essential.

Inspire Malibu is one of the few leading centers that provide 100% Science and Evidence based drug treatment. For more information about how you can help a loved one, call us toll-free.

We Are Here to Help